Dear prospective visitor,
We are pleased to know you are interested in working at STRI and we look forward to your visit. The information you are submitting is used by our staff to evaluate availability of office and laboratory space, equipment, transportation, housing and permit issuance.
To make the most of your time, please select one of the options below in order to guide you through the registration process
Thank you for your visit/project request and for your interest in coming to STRI.
Visitors are no longer required to be vaccinated. However, they are still requested to report their vaccination status to OHS (email to OHS-MedicalReview@si.edu).
Also, please read the following recommendations for your next visit/project:
- COVID-19 Assistance for international STRI Visitors. If an international visitor is diagnosed with COVID-19, the following information shall apply:
- Isolation/Quarantine Facilities. If available, STRI will designate an apartment in Gamboa or Ancon Dorms for isolating any positive case or quarantining any close contact(s) during their 5-10 day MINSA-mandated isolation/quarantine period. (Regular fees will apply).
- Medical Contacts. STRI will provide the Case/Close Contact with Grupo Vive’s 24-hr medical hotline for medical inquiries or assistance. (Free of charge for a STRI visitor)
- Hospital Transfers. If a visitor requires hospitalization, the visitor should call the STRI-OPS Control Room (212-8911/8211) to activate the STRI Emergency Response Plan.
- i. If a confirmed/suspected COVID-19 case needs hospitalization, Grupo Vive will charge $175 to transport the patient from any STRI- facility or STRI-housing, if within the contracted “protected areas”. Costs associated with these services must be covered by the visitor.
- Private Hospital Admission, Costs and Payment. Even with international medical insurance coverage, private hospitals in Panama will require a patient to pre-pay with cash or with a credit card (with sufficient credit limit) to grant admission.
- The initial amount that a private hospital will require to be paid up-front will vary depending on the anticipated services.
- Depending on the services that will be needed, the following are approximate costs that can result in a substantial financial burden to the patient:
- between $600-$1,000 for initial emergency room services,
- between $1,000-$1,500 per day for hospitalization in a general ward, and
- ii. between $1,000-$1,500 per day for hospitalization in a general ward, and
- The patient is generally required to pay the complete bill prior to being allowed to leave the hospital.
- If the patient does not have sufficient funds, the visitor will need to be transported to a public hospital where the standard of comfort is significantly lower than in private hospitals.
- If hospitalized, the visitor will be required to provide the hospital with the name and phone number of a local point of contact. The local point contact will serve as the link between the hospital and the visitor’s relatives in case the patient is in no condition to make decisions.
STRI/SI Fellows' Projects
- Is your Research Project and Visit Funded by a STRI/SI Fellowship?
- Do you want to arrange a Visit under someone else's registered Fellowship Research Project?
- Do you want to arrange a Visit to a previously approved Field Course?
- Do you want to register a new Field Course?
- Do you want to arrange a Visit to an approved Research Project?
- Do you want to register a new Research Project and then arrange a Visit?